Sunday, February 11, 2007

And then I made a cake...

Bailey's 6th birthday theme was Chinese New Year. It was totally her idea, we were thinking a tea party would be nice, but what do we know, really? The party was lots of fun, of course. Auntie is unequalled at planning and executing these things. She was a little at a loss because the food was ordered, so she had nothing to cook in those last few hours. I took on the cake project and needed something to work with our theme. What says "Chinese New Year birthday party" better than a big ol' container of lo mein? So I made a half-sheet of butter cake, cut it into thirds and filled it with some yummy chocolate pastry cream, applied some rolled fondant and stuffed in my marzipan lo mein...



and painted a blue willow-esque scene. (that dog is a pig... it IS, after all, the year of the pig)

Then, I added some calligraphy that says "Happy Birthday Bailey" in Madarin characters.





I was quite tickled that the guy delivering our feast saw the cake, from the calligraphy side and asked who Bailey was... then wished her a happy birthday! Birthday pictures are next. Hang on!

No comments: